Friday, July 6, 2007

Since I’m Still Awake…Something I Noticed About Race on Comedy Central

I watch a lot of standup comedy. I mean, a LOT. I am basically a standup fanatic. Other than the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, I don’t think there is anything on TV I watch more.

This means I watch “Comedy Central Presents” nearly every day, and I have seen several comedians multiple times. One thing I’ve noticed is that every time a comedian makes any kind of joke that makes fun of a particular race, a camera will always go to the audience and show a member of that race laughing.

It almost never fails. If you watch the show, pay attention next time. Especially if it is a black comedian making fun of white people or vice versa. Just today I watched comedian Greg Fitzsimmons, who is white, make a joke about black people, and immediately the camera went to a black man in the front row who was laughing. It’s as if Comedy Central is trying to send us the subliminal message:

Hey, it’s okay to laugh! We know it’s a racial joke, but look here, he’s black and he’s laughing at it. So, no need to be offended and change the channel. Enjoy the rest of the show!

I can’t help but be a little offended that they do this. It’s as if I am too dumb to figure out what is supposed to be funny and what is supposed to be offensive on my own.

My two cents, anyway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you do have a keen sense of observation. Never noticed that, but I have noticed on many of the award's shows some very interesting people the camera man will focus on at the right time. Those camera people must know a lot. One more way the media exploits. Forgot which password to use, long day.

~ Carrie

Joe Simmons said...

Congrats, Carrie! You are the first person to ever find this blog!

Oh yeah...I see the subliminal messages in the media and TV all the time.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Thanks. Long day today and reading your blogs is something I look forward to. I look for subliminal messagges in people and everywhere.

I wrote a blog about one of my crazy days. Check it out if you have time. You'll be the first.

Joe Simmons said...

You'll have to tell me where your blog is, Carrie. ;-)

Anonymous said...

click here....

Jill said...

Wow...I don't watch enough TV to even know what kind of program I'd have to be watching...but if I do find myself watching TV that includes a live audience, I'm going to be on the lookout!